Landcruiser - 80 series??

Submitted: Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 18:55
ThreadID: 50175 Views:12551 Replies:11 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, we're looking at a family trip round oz next year, probably towing a pop top van or camper trailer - off road of coarse. Have been told the 80 series landcruisers are indestructable, affordable to buy and worth a good look. (thinking diesel), and that most bush mechanics can repair them if anything does go wrong. (we are NOT mechanically minded). Has anyone got experience with these vehicles, particularly travelling around oz? Are they gas guzzlers? What breaks down on them? What other options do people recommend? We're thinking diesel as the engines reputtedly last longer and consume less fuel per Km. Any comments are always gratefully appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coops (Perth) - Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 19:27

Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 19:27
had mine for 8 years now and not one problem that wasn't caused by the environment of operation it was in.
Got a good prospect for a sale on it the other day but just can't bring myself to get rid of it despite not having had much use this past year.
Your logic is sound but the GU Series II Patrol is possibly just as worthy a candidate too.

My 2 cents worth

cheers
AnswerID: 264598

Follow Up By: Newbiesb - Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 21:33

Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 21:33
Thanks for the reply. Whats good about the Patrol? I haven'theard anything about these yet. ('scuse the ignorance) are they diesel also? What year of manufacture range? Thanks again
FollowupID: 526400

Follow Up By: Newbiesb - Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 21:40

Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 21:40
Just looked at your rig setup. I notice you have a long range fuel tank. Some say that these aren't needed (extra cost carrying fuel), as fuel is available every 200-300km. Is this your experience. Thanks again.
FollowupID: 526404

Follow Up By: Coops (Perth) - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2007 at 09:58

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2007 at 09:58
at the time I lived in Port Hedland which is 500 km's from just about everywhere other than Karratha and the roadhouses were much dearer to purchase fuel at and also are not open 24 hours. Port Hedland to Perth used to take me 16-18 hours non-stop driving depending upon temperature and headwinds etc, so I couldn't run the risk of running out of fuel. It is also in a cyclone belt and I needed to know that we could travel anywhere at anytime without having to stop if needed. The extra weight was good for high(ish) level water crossings too, often a consideration during or after a cyclone.
All made good sense at the time. Now that I live in the city the tank is empty but if fuel ever drops to a special price I'll always fill it to the brim. Saves a good few dollars. Costs up front but saves.

If you're on the east coast then you're right it's probably not necessary but where I was I thought it was a logical addition.
FollowupID: 526456

Reply By: Kev. (Cairns) - Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 20:47

Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 20:47
The problem is trying to find a decent 80 series as every one wants them, especially the turbo diesel.

If you find one you have to jump on it before someone else does.

AnswerID: 264609

Reply By: Member - Jack - Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 20:56

Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 20:56
Took my 1991 Diesel Landcruiser around Australia last year ... 37,500 km in total. We did not tow anything but carried everything inlcuding the kitchen sink.

We busted a cv joint at Adelaide River, but I had been forewarned months earlier that it was on the way out and chose not to get it fixed before the trip. Apart from that, not one bit of trouble. We started out with 296,000 kms on the clock.

We did not tow anything because we watned the flexibility of heading off into the bush without the worry of having to store a van or trailer before we went off. It turned out to be a good decision for us on this trip.

We travelled part way through WA with an 80 series petrol and when he refueled (at about $90) we took $50 (fully laden), so definitely less expensive.

If towing I would consider a turbo, but am currently considering Diesel/gas, which may give the old beast a bit more power if I decide to tow in the future.

I had a Daikin heavy duty clutch fitted before we left and think that was a good move ... it had the original clutch in it at the time.

Apart from that, it was just a roof rack, cargo barrier, and some heavier suspension (2" lift).

Great trip, and when given the option to sell it and get a later model I could not part with it. It still has at least one more trip around Oz in it, possibly more.

If you buy one, spend a bit of time making sure it has a good service history. If it has been well and properly serviced you should not have too many dramas.

Enjoy the trip.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 264610

Follow Up By: Newbiesb - Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 21:37

Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 21:37
Thanks Jack, seems like this may be a real option for us. What advantage do the turbo versions have (as i said, i'm not really mechanically minded). I assume more power, but i also thought turbo was more prone to failure. Has anyone had more problems with turbo??
FollowupID: 526402

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2007 at 07:05

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2007 at 07:05
Turbo will give you more power, which is handy for towing. There were some issues with the early model turbo diesels and bearing failure, but I think these problems would be well and truly sorted out now.

My vehicle is not turbo'd.

I am quite happy to head uphill a little slower, although if I go with the diesel/gas option I may have shorter queues behind me in hilly country.

Jack

FollowupID: 526433

Follow Up By: Newbiesb - Thursday, Oct 04, 2007 at 10:28

Thursday, Oct 04, 2007 at 10:28
Please excuse my ignorance, - can a diesel have a gas option also? If it can it'd be the best of both worlds. Would it loose power under gas or wear out the engine sooner?
FollowupID: 526809

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Thursday, Oct 04, 2007 at 17:01

Thursday, Oct 04, 2007 at 17:01
Hi Newbirsb:

Apparently so .. I am still looking into this. Somewhere on this site is a company calling themselves Team Green Autogas who fit gas to diesels. It is not a gas OR diesel ... they both run together. If you run out of gas it just goes straight back to diesel until you fill up again.

The gas aparently burns the diesel at a hotter temperature which allows for better combustion than straight diesel. the result is (their claim) improved economy and power.

I hae spoken to a local fitter who says it brings noticeable improvements and their are a few contributors to this forum that have had it fitted and say they are happy with the results.

Plus ... you get $2,000 rebate frm the Government. I was quoted $4200 to have it fitted, less the $2k. Still considering it.

Jack

FollowupID: 526866

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 21:24

Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 21:24
Gday,
I dont think you could buy a better car than a turbo diesel 80 series.
I own a petrol and yes the petrols are juice guzzlers. But I went from a fuel injected v8 and a 60 series to a petrol 80. I didnt buy it to save money off the fuel bill.

All cars can break down, but there is nothing bad about the 80 series in general.
Id go with what your thinking
Cheers
AnswerID: 264620

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 22:24

Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 22:24
Hi Newbies,

The 80 Series are a wonderful 4wd. I own a 1990 Petrol that has so far travelled 332000kms over all sorts of terrain. It is an old 3F engine, so it is a bit of a guzzler, averaging 20l\100km. I have driven it across the Tanami, Gibb River Rd, Mitchell Plateau, Cape Leveque, Anne Beadell, Simpson Desert, Gulf Country, High Country, Victorian Desert Regions, Chambers Pillar, Plenty Highway and many other corrugated roads around Oz. I have also towed a camper trailer on the majority of these roads with no problems.

The only problems I have had mechanically are radiator leaks, snapped exhaust brackets, multiple tyre leaks, snapped stabiliser bar mount, shocker damage and wheel bearing issues. All simple fixes and mostly caused by age. I have made a lot of mods to my vehicle and service it regularly so I love her to bits and cannot part with her. You would not be sorry buying one.

Regards

Glenn
AnswerID: 264631

Reply By: 93 Navara - Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 23:41

Monday, Oct 01, 2007 at 23:41
Go the diesel and preferably a factory turbo. The 90-94 get a bad rap due to early big end bearing issues but they should be well sorted by now. Otherwise a straight diesel and put a turbo on it. If you've got time up your sleeve, take your time and a decent vehicle can be had for mid teens. They do big kms if looked after but obviously check for service records.
I've a 90 model turbo diesel and i love it. Not trying to dissuade you from a Patrol but for reasonable money I'd go the 80 as its a bit nicer for the family.
AnswerID: 264641

Follow Up By: Newbiesb - Thursday, Oct 04, 2007 at 10:26

Thursday, Oct 04, 2007 at 10:26
Thanks for the rap - we're seriously looking out now. Will get the usual checks done on any vehicle we're interested in though. Just need to figure out what mods will be likely. We're thinking we'd need a winch, snorkel, decent suspension (but whats decent??) - Have you got any suggestions on what would be needed in the way of add on/mmods on a vehicle for a long trip?
FollowupID: 526807

Reply By: Zebra400 - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2007 at 04:32

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2007 at 04:32
80 Series TD are hard to find on the 2nd hand market. We have had our TD for 10 years. Apart from losing some low down power when the turbo drops out, it drives a treat on the black top, and handles the Victorian high country easily.

Having said that, 2 of our valves snapped in half on our last trip to WA. This wiped out the no. 6 piston and thus we are in the process of replacing the engine. So far, Toyota have no answer as to why this happened. Oh, an another thing, Toyota have just stopped making the TD 80 Series engine. Luckily, there was one available in stock.

Thanks to the guys at the Nullarbor roadhouse who rescued us 50kms out of town. Thanks also to RACV Total Care for getting us back home in Melbourne.

Oh, our engine has only done 180K kms.
AnswerID: 264648

Reply By: Alan H (Narangba QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2007 at 07:31

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2007 at 07:31
As others have said the 80 series is a very reliable unit. Had mine for about 13 years now and it has clocked over 300k. It has been out in desert many times and up around Vic high country up the Cape and Gulf. Ducked over to WA last Christmas.

Most trips it has a camper trailer on the back. The standard twin tanks of the 80 series give me about 900+ range not towing and about 700+ towing depending on terrain (loose sand etc)

Range is important when you start to travel out west (or along the coast) Just maintain the vehicle (oil changes etc timing belts, grease bearings etc) and it will serve you well.

Next winter we will go out around the centre again without any trepidation.

The only down side to the 80 series IS THE BLOODY SPARE UNDER THE BACK. can be a pain to get out if required and acts as an anchor crossing deserts. I raised mine 50mm and threw the spare up on the rack for sand dune country.
AnswerID: 264656

Reply By: JimDi - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2007 at 20:50

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2007 at 20:50
Hi Newbiesb
We have had our 80 series for 7 years now, 1997 model petrol, 200K on the clock,and I absolutley love her, got us out of a head on collision between Broadwater and Wardell, towing a 23' 2.5 tonne van. Car coming sideways towards us at high speed started to lose control, my husband justed planted his foot instead of braking and our car and van gave other car plenty of room to correct. It has plenty of power,and unlike diesel doesn't think twice when we ask it, and the twin tanks come in handy. We have done the Tip up the OTL, Gulf, Cape Leveque, Gibb River,towing Odyssey Off road trailer. No problems at all not even a flat tyre. We service it religiously, and all mechanics at different times have said, Gees thats a tight car, whatever that means in mechanic terms. We are just about to take off again for a trip around the block, just got new back shockies yesterday, and advised to replace radiator. Hope this helps, you can't go wrong with an LC 80.
Cheers Di
AnswerID: 264776

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 23:13

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 23:13
H Newbiesb,
The difference between standard diesel/turbo diesel are;

95kw/ 265 mn torque, non turbo
120kw/ 380 nm for factory turbo, hence the difficulty in find second hand turbos

I used to own a T/D 80 series, now own a std 105 (non turbo)diesel and found that the 105 use a little more fuel than the t/d but is as slow as a wet week, and as for overtaking, that's just a hazy memory.
If you get a std diesel and get an after market turbo, its gunna cost $4k+ for quality system, and that's if the engine is up to it, remembering that it will be at least 10 years old.
Expect 13-15 lt/100ks fuel economy (std) without towing,not stuffing around either!, doesn't seem to make much difference how you drive it, but once you go over 100-105kmh mark, it will drop, diesels don't like high speeds, putt-ing around is their forte`, 1000 kms on the two tanks (135 litres) was achievable for the t/d and have got my 105 to that mark. . . . once!
Petrol, avoid the pre '92 model with the 3F-e motor (4.0 liter) for no other reason than they where slow (110kw/275nm?). This motor is just an unleaded version of the 2F which came out in 1975, whack on an fuel injection system and now (then) its modern, nothing wrong with reliability, they where good motors, just a bit thirsty (18-20/100k), not real exciting to drive, BUT it got there!
If you find a cheap petrol (post '92) with the 1FZ (4.5 liter,twin cam) I would consider, 158kw/ 360nm torque (300nm of torque at 1000 rpm) is no slouch, but again, doesn't mind a drink either, will probably be $10K cheaper than a similar t/d.
Just think about this, some real rough maths,
According to OE fuel price guide there is about a (average).
12cent difference in the price between diesel and petrol, hypothetical exercise,
20000kms at 15l/100klm @ 1.40pl = $4200 for diesel
20000kms at 20l/100klm @ 1.28pl = $5120 for petrol
Of course these prices are low compared to outback/remote prices but the point I am making is If you find a petrol 80 and has ALL the stuff on it, and is $5K lower than any T/d, will of course use more fuel, (around $1k per 20000 kms), wont become dearer until you have done over 100000 klm, this is not facturing any service cost's associated, nor any repairs that may/may not be needed, and these sums are VERY simplistic and some people factor other things into whether or not to go diesel, fuel price doesn't really rate.
Fuel storage can be a problem, petrol is far more volatile than diesel, so drums can be hazardous, depending on how remote you are gunna go, stuff like this why people decide for/not petrol
I hope I haven't made it more confusing for you, best thing you can do is look and drive a few, both pet/dies/ td but make sure you keep BOTH hands in your pockets!
Coupla things to look for in an 80, rust around the bottom of the rear side windows, also around the roof gutters and the rear corners, and CV joints, as well as general wear and tear you would expect to find in a 10 year old vehicle.
Shane
PS the power and torque figures I've used are approx. only and best used as a guide. cheers
AnswerID: 264964

Follow Up By: Newbiesb - Thursday, Oct 04, 2007 at 10:22

Thursday, Oct 04, 2007 at 10:22
Thanks for the detailed breakdown and info. We are really leaning towards the diesel now, also beacause the engines seem to last longer and we're planning on doing a lot of miles. Been surfing the net and these a few around but may have to travel to look at them. We're still keeping an open mind on other vehicles, but there seems so much going for the 80series - most people love them and that wouldn't happen if they were trouble.
FollowupID: 526805

Reply By: Member - Alex K (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 04, 2007 at 09:56

Thursday, Oct 04, 2007 at 09:56
Might as well not lose momentum with the 80 Series comments...

I've got a '96 Petrol with 210K on the clock. Owned it for 3 years and hasn't dropped a beat. I looked at upgrading it a couple of months ago to the LC100 however couldn't make a sensible decision why. So i'm keeping it for longer now.

Petrol very heavy on gas 20L/100km is average. If you're only doing low kms then this won't bother you too much. If you're planning many big trips def go Deisel.
Alex
AnswerID: 264992

Sponsored Links